Monday, April 04, 2005

Sometimes London smiles on you

It was a good weekend, full of heavy English sunshine (and less than welcome English wind). But I got to have my legs out, dared to the rays pasty as they are. I smiled a lot this weekend. G and I spent pretty much all of it together - went to the Barbican on Sunday to see Christian Marclay and Tina Barney which were both surprisingly good, given my scepticism of 'modern' art. Ugly as it is, I find the Barbican wonderful. And we always have such a good time there.
I look at G some mornings and think I must be the luckiest girl in the world.

Now that the date is set, I think it will be hard leaving Highgate, and London and G most of all (though him the least permanently). I know this time will be different than when I had to pack up the room in Manor House and I felt my heart break in me and I thought it was the end of the world. And then I moved back and I'm glad I did.
All the penny pinching struggles and deciding between second hand books or food have been worth it. And maybe, though I hesitate to say this yet, just maybe, working as a receptionist will have been worth it for all I have seen. And in a year I'll have that damn degree I so yearn for, my ticket into the real human race. ("A race attempting humanity")

Today London is angry, or indifferent perhaps, with its steely grey sky and incessant misty rain. I love it today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home