Monday, April 11, 2005

How the pieces all fit together

Today for the first time, sitting in Grosvenor Sq in the tepid sun with G, I could see my plans for the summer, fit together almost perfectly. It sounds like quite a jet setting time, with meeting Bud in Italy and then flying to San Francisco if all goes well and then Budapest in July, Transylvania in early August and then Perth. All of these places sound laced with sunshine, I'm a lucky girl.

I have seen a couple of things recently that I want to mention; two films which are very different but had quite severe mood-affecting qualities. 5x2, which, by no stretch of the imagination must be thought of as a date movie. It is the brutal, honest and emotionally tangled disintegration of a relationship. Starting at the divorce and rewinding through five episodes of the couple's life. Heavily depressing, it sat around us like a death sentence on the way home. A good film, but difficult.

The other film was Downfall. G said he'd never felt three hours pass so quickly. For me, it didn't pass quickly, but it was engrossing. And frightening and awful and gave that feeling of "god, how lucky are we?". It is a really good film, for all its detail and well formed, terrifying characters. I was reminded of this quote by Edmund Burke
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" when Traudl Jung was speaking about her time as Hitler's personal secretary, saying that she didn't know the extent of what Hitler was doing. Don't really think that's an excuse...

I had an interesting Friday night, full of booze and lights and lots of talking and even a bit of music so that on Saturday I was a little vague. The whole weekend though, was brimming with us together and new London bits to see and even a bit of sun. Oh, and I bought a very funky pair of sunglasses, which G says make me look glamorous.

Here's to this new week, here's to spring.

'nana xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home