Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jeff McMullen

I just registered for a breakfast next Tuesday at which Jeff McMullen will be the speaker. Granted it's about leadership, and is organised by Curtin as part of their management leadership rah rah rah...but I just got so excited when I saw the flier, that I quickly okayed it with Dave and bought my ticket.
fucknows what I will speak about with the other people at my table, and what will I tell them about work, career etc, but I'm not going to let myself worry about that. If it's important enough -and it is- I'm not going to let myself get nervous (yeah, just keep repeating that Anna)...

The other wonderfulness is that I was still home when VagueCraig barrelled through the front door in his orange shoes and signature hat. Aside from a little weight loss (the bastard) he hasn't changed, and I can't wait for lunchtime, when I can pick his brain. And he can see why I'm here, and not there in Melbourne.

The other wonderfulness is that I finally got off my arse and phoned Gary yesterday. I left a wavering message and he called me back, saying he was worried at the nervousness in my voice. I said "well, I've got a lot to be nervous about."
"Are you sick?"
"No"
"Then you've nothing to be nervous about".
I told him that I didn't want to do this PhD anymore, and after talking about it a little, the process, the usual constant encouragement, he told me he couldn't even say it was sad, because at last I was doing what I wanted to do.
And then he said that I should still join them all at Clancy's because they love my company, and we won't talk about academia, but instead about Europe. And he said he and Jo would love to come to dinner, whenever we'd like to have them. I could have smiled all day, but the dental anaesthetic fucked that up.
I really am so lucky to have had the opportunity to work with Gary. I think even honours would have been impossible without him.

The darkness of the soul may not be lighted by moving the body to another place, but if that place is WA, it sure helps a lot :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home