Monday, August 08, 2011

What a weekend... much sleeplessness, but some of it was for an excellent reason :-)

On Friday N and I went to Matt's new workplace - Elite cycles I think, in NOrthbridge, where no shit he works with a couple of the most down to earth fellows you'd ever want to meet. There was pinot noir and some caramel-y mud cake and lots of laughs. And apparently there's a bike brand called Pista. I warm to cycling more each day.

Then the three of us went and listened to a spot of jazz at the Universal bar until I had to duck off and go to Applecross to meet Sarah at the Tivoli theatre and watch her squeeze in a performance. The Tivoli is across from the Raffles Hotel, where Bon Jovi stayed during their tour last year. (Cue heart palpitations)... The Tivoli performance was lovely- low-key and accessible, and wonderful that there is still space for this kind of thing. Long tables in a big hall, and a sort of revue up on stage. It really was delightful.

Then I drove home half asleep, fell into bed and woke again at 2. Saturday started off sluggishly, and my potter around the lake was pretty useless and windblown.
Then N came with me to do some shopping that was long overdue. And i was measured properly for a bra for the first time in my life. Yeah so I'm 31, so what!? :)

There was more jazz that afternoon, once in Globe Lane in the cbd and then at the Bird in Northbridge, where we got stuck into a bottle of vino served by one of the coldest bar bitches I've come across in Perth so far.
I wrote another poem, or the start of one, about tall men and jazz and then we walked home, ravenous and perhaps a little tipsy.

I woke again at 2 but managed to talk myself back to sleep till 7. N and I ran, then I showered and got ready and M called just after 10. They are home, and he is like home.
He said he'd be round at 1ish, and so Matt and Nickiy and I went to the WA Museum to see the ACDC exhibition in its last day. And my goodness it was fantastic. Rock n Roll!

And then M arrived. Brown as anything, a tiny bit paunchy, but towering and dependable.

Here's one I wrote before the last Voicebox:

Consider: the soft darkened road ahead
abandoned shopping trolleys
and ill-lit car parks
isolated yellow pools
of false promise

You will be safe here...
Really?
I look and I look
and I think - have we arrived?
Under this wide sweep of sky
where we thought contentment lay?
Contentment by the gentle river
strangling happiness

We thought...
but we may have been wrong

And somewhere across the country
behind shuttered windows
under the aching sharp lights
of the suburbs
we discovered our strangest fictions

Discovered that along the way
we misplaced the map

That language was different here
That maybe only one of us spoke it

But we fought it
pretty hard
battled the everyday
and unlearned habit
and gave in, to hope

But through and through we
discovered
the pain of context
and that sometimes
love is tied to geography


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home