Tuesday, October 24, 2006

under Nelson's watchful eye-

I had dinner with Claudia last night, after a difficult, long day when all I could think about was Budapest.
Teargas, water cannons, riot police and rubber bullets- I wanted to be there. Not to help turn over cars, or throw rocks or shout, necessarily, but to be somehow in solidarity. To say the same words as them, to hold hands with Szasza... (he wrote such a beautiful text yesterday: if you were here, I could protect you in the crowd).
instead, all I had to offer were my thoughts and my (perhaps naive) hopes that people can make a difference. I've been reading every possible news site imaginable, and have been dismayed at how the western media ignored the 50th anniversary commemorations of 1956- and only began to pay attention when riots broke out. Give them blood and they will listen. It's disgusting, but it's true.
The BBC coverage, I have to say is quite detailed, and very good. A bone of contention is the arpad flag, which I'll have to ask Szasza to explain again, because the media seems to think it's the pro-Nazi flag, but I didn't think that was so...
Mum has her conspiracy theories, but I have some trouble believing in them. I await more news avidly.

But dinner- seeing Claudia again was just as fabulous as it always is. We had a nice meal and a very good talk. There were two dickheads sitting beside us (and grown men too!) who kept interrupting and wanting to talk, and one of the cunts, the more annoying of the two, touched my arse as I was leaving. If claudia hadn't been there I would have liked to put a stiletto through his eye.

But my mood was not tarnished by twats- I rode the tube home with a smile on my face, and possibly even giggled once or twice. And Rob wrote. Finally. My world is spread far and wide, but really it's a compact little place inside me. Now, goat anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home