Monday, November 17, 2008

Helsinki despatch

I'm watching Juno with one eye and blogging with the other...
My first impression of Helsinki, seen from the tinted window of a taxi in the dark is austere. Big clean buildings without any ornamentation... I look forward to seeing them in the morning.
The weekend was grand - the farewell party on Saturday was big. Huge. But wonderful.
Sunday was subsequently difficult, but we spent some nice time with mum and B's dad who came to pick up a fraction of our shit. How much accumulates in a year...
It was sad packing up our happy little Budapest life, but I held it together for most of the day, until Jutka came to also pick up some of our shit and then I lost it a bit. Excitement and new beginnings are all well and good, but every new beginning is an ending too, and I just felt that this encroaching change - even if I chose the change - was scary and suddenly a little too much.
But after a good sleep at mum's on Sunday, we had a bit of a clean up day and then lunch with mum and then ... and then... there we were at the airport and all too suddenly I was behind those clanging metal doors and the new adventure began.

Slept on the flight, fought the heavy dark feeling that erupted when I saw we were landing in a strange new country and found a taxi pronto. And now here I am... I'm going to get back to watching Juno because after all it did cost me 14euros.

tomorrow...a brief Helsinki exploration (in minus 3 weather) and then a flight to Hong Kong...

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home