Friday, November 14, 2008

So close

The tumult of goodbyes has really begun in earnest. Autumn has arrived with a vengeance, as if Budapest is also gearing up for big change.
The packing is nowhere near done, panic is lurking 'round the corner but I'm *just* managing to hold it together. With a little help from my friends.
I got some nasty news on Thursday, when one of my jobs was rather suddenly pulled, and now the prospect of Australia with much less cash looms. Not a happy thought.

On Wednesday, quite unexpectedly, I caught up with DG, haven't spoken to him in about a year and a half. We went to Szimpla, and had whisky and beer and a packet of cigarettes, and talked about London and taboo and our secret lives. It was refreshing and exciting all at the same time.

On Thursday Jutka and Livia came over to sift through my clothes and take what fit and took their fancy, but as I look at the piles still left in the bedroom, I'm filled with a kind of dread. There will be a lot more left behind.

Last night was dinner with Jutka and while neither of us were tipsy, we had the most emotional conversation we'd ever had to date, and she said how much my being here had helped these past months. And then my eyes filled with tears and then she went to the kitchen. This goodbye and distance thing is a bastard, but I have hope that she'll eventually move to Oz, and we'll all be happy.

Today, we've three hours to clean the flat, pack and I have to bake a cake because we're going to Szabi's house for lunch and then tonight is the farewell party to end all farewell parties.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home