Friday, April 24, 2009

The kindness of strangers 2

This afternoon after work (after a very bloody good day thank you very much) I drove to Coles to buy cleaning supplies and to restock the Kalotas kitchen so we can leave it in tip top shape.
-Ty called me in the meantime, and I was reminded of what great significance tomorrow will have for him. When we were on the phone he was polishing his medals-
In Coles, I was careful. More careful and frugal than I have been in years. I knew I had $100 and no more. Nothing on credit. Nada.
So I piled supplies carefully, as many home brand as I could find and then made my way to the checkout. The young guy who served me looked uncannily like a young Matt Thomas, and he watched silently my stricken face as I looked at the screen to see the numbers jumping up and up.
In the end I couldn't take everything, so I piled them back for him, but then realised I actually had another ten dollar note. So, ever so patiently, he scanned my left overs, one by one, being careful not to go over, and the end amount was something like $109.40
He made no comment and was as polite as ever. After I had piled everything into the trolley I went down to the carpark and cried. These days are not easy, but boy they are beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home