Monday, May 11, 2009

Life Cycle

It was an interesting weekend.
On Saturday I baked and cooked and Betty and Peter came over for coffee which was wonderful. B was at work from well before sparrow's fart, so he missed out on driving around lost (in Perth?!) for an hour, untilwe found Harbour Town and dashed in to spend some hard earned money, hardly there for the spending.
I bought a white shirt for work, from Rivers and a soft, charcoal grey Gilby jumper. I am wearing both as I type this.
Then the guys took me home so I could get ready for my shift at an old person's home in Cottesloe. Having worked in Bicton at Karinya, I didn't think this would be that different, but nothing could have prepared me for the grandeur. The facility is built on a rise with limitless views over the Indian Ocean, the staff are wonderful, the rooms more like suites and the food impeccable. Yes, I know, because i tasted it. But still there is an air of unbearable sadness, even though most of the residents are present in mind, and sharp. It really is the final stop before dying. And it's incredibly hard to see these once magnificent humans (like we all are- magnificent and awe-inspiring) reduced to a child-like helplessness. How hard it must be to cope, when your mind is still active and sharp and you are witty and then you shit yourself, or have to use a bed pan, or be fed because some other part of you doesn't work. There was a lady t here who has a cat in her room, a big black fluffy Pista of a thing, though slightly friendlier. The lady was still mobile, though suffering from diabetes, and I almost lost it when she said, I'm not giving up yet, looking with love at the cat.
The rooms are peppered with photographs of loved ones lost, or just missed. But it is heartening that there is a pretty constant stream of visitors.
I served afternoon tea, then cleaned the kitchen, and then served dinner, which was the bigger job. The labour-intensive clean up afterwards was a relief, because it was solitary work.
I'm going again next Saturday, it's a comfortable shift and the money should cover our food bill for a week, so it's a big help.
Sunday was B's birthday, and in my scattered, fatigue ridden state, I wasn't well prepared. No stores open on Sunday and I don't even have a springform cake tin. So I phoned some restaurants, and finally got us a table at Fraser's. It was madly impressive. The lights of Perth spread out before us, but almost close enough to touch. The food and service were flawless and well worth the wheeze-inducing final bill. Hamlin Bay Cab Sav- got my vote :-)
Poor B is sick, but the telly I'm picking up for him today should put a dimpled smile back on his face ...

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home