Saturday, October 31, 2009

Batucada

Clancy's Fish Pub was transformed last night (at least the back room was) into a place of Brazilian verve and captivating extravagance.
Betty had us arrive nice and early, so there was a bit of standing around at the bar, me gripping my glass of soda, the boys grumbling non-stop.
I wish I could remember the names of the dances, but they were something like this:
an African style dance, wearing shushing grass skirts with a lot of leaping and shaking hands at the sky, then another African influenced dance with sticks where half-way through the dancers made a circle, and then two of the Capoeira masters - Betty's teacher and an absolute vision from Malaysia - entered the circle with machetes. The clanging was monstrous and rhythmic and exciting.
When the actual Capoeira exhibition started was the best though. Such incredible fluidity in everyone's bodies. In the more experienced 'dancers' the speed and contortion were almost frightening.
I felt so proud of Betty - this was only the second time I've seen her perform on stage but her happiness at being up there is infectious.
When the exhibition finished the Belaza drumming group got up on stage, and I recognised those yellow and red drums from when we saw them on the street corner in Perth. They play a style of African influenced Brazilian percussive samba. The rhythm gets into your bones.
Unfortunately the boys had had well enough by then and we had to leave half way through - me being designated soda-drinking driver had to leave too. I look forward to an evening when I can see that group, have a drink, and have a dance.

Before Clancy's B and I went to Lynwood earlier to pick up Pete and so that I could wash the car. It's a negative aspect of living in an apartment that I have no way of washing it here, and although those big colourful drive through wash things are exciting, I prefer the personal touch.
Now it is spotless, inside and out and I've left little mounds of red earth on Pete and Betty's driveway.

The rest of yesterday was uneventful. After the gym I cooked breakfast, and headed off on my mission to buy 'sensible shoes'. With my rebel sport voucher I figured I'd be sure to find something. I shit you not, EVERY singe pair of 'women's lifestyle' shoe was either: WHITE, PINK, SHINY or GLITTERY. Or all of the above. Then I clapped eyes on a pair of thoroughly unattractive walking shoes that have Cape to Cape written all over them, so the day wasn't a complete waste :)

Today- B has gone fishing, I'm about to sink into some analysis, and the wind is not relenting.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home