Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Unforgettable Strangers

This morning, I woke at 5.08...I know the exact time because I was so frustrated to be awake before the alarm again! I had the clothes laid out, the coffee ready to go on the stove. It looked like a beautiful morning.
Even at the bus stop I felt little oomphs of pleasure up and down my spine- early morning excitement.

But by the time I walked through the waking cbd and found the hulking huge Hyatt, I was shitting myself. My bad-brain went into overdrive: you're a fucking secretary, what the hell are you doing at a business leaders breakfast?"
A bit of Bizet calmed me a little and I walked in. The hotel was almost deserted, but as I walked towards the down escalators, I realised it was none other than Jeff McMullen in front of me.
He held the door open, and I said I'd follow him as we were going to the same place, and bless his unassuming humility, he extended his hand and said "Hi, I'm Jeff". It coloured my morning.

And it all just got better. I sat at a table of people who didn't know each other, and none of them were really over 30, or managers or anything like that. Rowena, on my left works at the Comm bank, and Philip on my right is in the Navy. We chatted and laughed and I was genuinely happy to be there. And then Mr McMullen took to the stage and everything melted into silence and attention. He spoke for over half an hour, maybe more without notes, and I wish I wasn't too tired now to recall and give back much of what he said.
About custodianship, about responsibility, about truth. About how we must never stop asking questions, never be complacent, never just shrink back into our matrix of false comfort. (How much that resonated!) His idea of leadership is so different to much of what we see in the world now, but to hear him talk, it filled me (and I think everyone there) with hope that wasn't just blind. To take notice of all the unforgettabl strangers in our lives, and to treat every day like a gift... I floated all day. I am still somewhat hovering...

The rest of my day and all other happenings will have to wait, as I am shivering with sleeplessness, and still a pile of expedia to wade through. Ty called me - he's on a plan to Afghanistan already. Godspeed March and his safe return.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home