Friday, October 30, 2009

clear morning

yesterday was a day crammed full of hope and wine and food.
because plans changed (like they always seem to do) friday morning was spent whipping the house into shape for the evening.
we'd been planning it since I got the job in August, but finally Joe and I went out to celebrate at the newly refurbished Leederville hotel. We sat by this massive old gum at a table that wasn't stable and had the most wonderful time. The food was good too :)
Back at the office I was good for little else but to plot the evening's menu and find preserving recipes for the 10kg of mangoes coming my way next week. Chutney, anyone?
The day's worst experience was in coles when my card declined and I stood blinking at the checkout, not quite comprehending. so westpac paid for dinner.
I've been wanting to try coq au vin for ages, so that together with olive oil mash (made with the final splash of the Hardy's Mammoth oil we bought in Toodyay) was the main course. I made hummus for a starter, and I have to say, although it wasn't super smooth, because I pestled it all by hand it was damn tasty. (If only I had had the time to make the turkish bread myself as well).
Dessert was a shamefully simple apricot and pistachio tart, and basically I was done within an hour and a half when B arrived with our guests, Orsi and Balazs. I have met Orsi once before, beautiful, meek and pretty quiet, but I took to Balazs immediately, B and I agreed later he reminds us both of Szabi.
I know B had been hoping for a let-my-hair down massive night of drinking, but I was glad that it was civilised. There was a lot of catching up for the boys to do, but other than a bit of talk about refugees and immigration where i joined in, the chat was mostly beer stories, and vomit stories and how drunk were we when. So really, not that civilised after all. But the food was a success and maybe we'll do something together tomorrow, weather permitting.
I'm about to start the day with the gym and then some Anna time at the water's edge. Just to say hello.
A little work for today (thanks canon), Betty's performance in the evening ... time floats on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home