Thursday, October 22, 2009

Long pointed hours

full of dullish white light and lazy uncold wind. The feeling in the air today reminded me of early summer in Geelong - in a good way, if that can be believed!
I finished the big lump of metrica yesterday, and was almost too tired to feel relieved but I managed it :)

Despite the met deadline, my sleep pattern hasn't clicked back to normal, and although I managed to go back to sleep at 3am, I woke again at 5 (after a rather delicious and vivid dream, the kind that leaves you confused upon waking) - but at least that gave me the oomph to get my arse to the gym. As usual, a decision not regretted, although there will be happy pain tomorrow.

As for the sleeping, I'm attempting ear plugs tonight, so i shall not hear the kookaburras and the maggies and the rosellas (is that what they are?) and the red wattle birds... if they could start the morning even half an hour later...

I read a really fine essay (and now shamefully I don't remember who wrote it) on the ABC website, abotu Kevin Rudd and his attempt to marry religious morality/ethics with poltics...

Because I had finished work, B and I chose tonight as our 'date' night, not that we had anything major planned. I baked a coconut and lemon cake for tomorrow's meeting at work - something sweetish to butter up the it guys. It's endearing how they can peck at crumbs of goodness, yet be frighteningly serious at all other times. Which reminds me, I must finish Middlemarch, and give it back to Ian.

So, the date. A Chinese restaurant in Wembley which was as badly decorated as every other chinese restaurant i've been to in the world, bar one. And woefully empty.
Lesson 1 never drink wine at a chinese restaurant....
but the food was pretty damn good. That san choy bow was almost as good as I make :) and reminded me of boozy almost-morning-late-nights at the Supper Inn in Melbourne.
I miss laughing more. But the evening was nice, in a pastel coloured even way. Maybe we just need more practice. Maybe I need to learn some jokes...

First thing tomorrow I must ice the cake and also go through and proofread a text that Matyi is sending through sometime in the night, and he's actually going to pay me for this one. In forint, but I won't count the gift horse's teeth...

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home