Friday, October 16, 2009

Morning.

Today has started exceptionally well. A steaming mug of Paul (that I let go lukewarm so I could drink it), dropped B at work before 7 and then drove down to the beach, which was already a determined hub of activity. It's wonderful seeing so many people making the most of it.
I took a slow walk, and sat down with some birds to watch the waves for a while.

But I also wanted to write about last night. I came home from work absolutely buggered, and B surprised me with snacks on the balcony which was just beautiful. The air was soft and warm and I could see the tops of the city buildings over the railing. Later Craig called, and asked us to meet him for dinner or some drinks and although neither of us had much enthusiasm, we put make up on and went in.
I have never seen Perth so alive on a Friday night. There were impromptu gigs on street corners, dancing in front of buildings ... it was beautiful.
We had a beer at the Belgian where a Perth girl was singing some lovely songs, and then (oh but wait, that was a private function for delegates and people on the guest list. B and I were neither, but then Craig, in his inimitable irresistible style said 'they're with me' and in we went) when a more raucous clawing band started we walked out into the night and found two more stages just around the corner. The boys however were unimpressed by the synth-heavy 80's style disco (oh if only Em and Timea had been there) and we walked on.
And on the corner of Hay and King we found them. Mikeleza. A percussion band playing the most infectious beats that something started happening to me at hip level.
Never mind what was happening to Craig! He said "I should have been born a Brazilian woman" and looking at him move, I was inclined to agree.
The group was wonderful, and then a bizarrely tall man was reaching into the crowd pulling people in to dance. I was terrified that he's spot me, but of course, standing next to Craig there was little danger...
We bought a cd at the end and then B was tired and wanted to come home, but I'm hoping we'll go back in tonight too...

So now, shopping list and breakfast and then to work to work.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home