Monday, December 14, 2009

the stars

it was a magic weekend... starting with friday night. freo and my monument, and all the stars, tacked into the caressing night.

saturday and sunday were my kind of hot. almost 40 degrees hot. perhaps not get much stuff done hot, but fabulous.
i was beachy in two shifts, all day - first at Leighton, where the water was still and clear and later at my beach, when the wind was slowly moving in, and the water was choppy and bracing.
i stayed a bit longer there, finished the hungry tide, decided it wasn't such a fantastic book after all...
and then i slept alone. well, sort of. there was a militant moth in the room with me, but very soon after flopping into bed, i was too tired to care about the snapping wings and plopping body i could hear on my pillow. in the morning it was gone.

sunday - i woke early and had to get out of the house. the atmosphere is like off-custard, thick and rancid. I read a Kim Scott novel for a while on the beach, and then ran (hah!) along the stretch of beach from city towards swanbourne.
there were willies on parade. Not many, but disconcerting all the same. breakfast afterwards was underwhelming, but the setting was so beautiful it was utterly worth it. Where o where can one get home-made hollandaise sauce? (By making it myself, right?)

at home i made an attempt to work, but ended up painting my nails, and watching the phone. when betty finally called, B and I went to cottesloe to immerse ourselves in some more brazilian capoeira beats. Pete came too and no matter how much of a big fat negative dickhead he is, he still makes me laugh and i love him. it's strange to think i've known him for ten years.

we stayed for a while after betty finished - betty and i had the chance - while we went to get kebabs for the boys (the butterflies forbade me eating all damn day) - to have a gossipy girly and it was so good to talk.
later i drove to east freo, to the house which i am to 'sit' from thursday onwards. hard to find the words really. when tracey walked me through, and out onto the balcony and i saw the tall red industrialness of my cranes my heart leapt into my throat. i can't wait to move in.
i dropped in on sandy and paul just to jump up and down in their loungeroom saying thankyouthankyou and hugging, then i left them to their sunday night.

oh and then at home... ugh... so i had to leave the house. I had vague plans anyway, but i left earlier, and only realised half way to the beach that all of wembley was pitch black. all the traffic lights, all the shops and service stations, all the street-lamps. it was eerie...headlights punctured the blackness, but in an almost milky washed-out way. the beach was spectacular though. without those offensive floodlights, all the stars were visible and i spent a pleasant two hours or so, avoiding going home.

who knows what will happen tonight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home