Sunday, March 07, 2010

Mistake

Yes it was - picking up a wheelbarrowful of theatre and opera tickets from the post office and then noticing that Serendipity Books was 'just over there' ... I should have just returned to the office. Should have. Didn't.

I have now a book about Marble Bar - the whole book, all about life in Marble Bar. There was also an exquisite Graves "The Greek Myths" Folio society edition, but I managed to leave that there. There was Browning and Rosetti and aaaarrrgghhhh... I will need a better paying job if I am to become a regular visitor.

Looking at pictures on facebook today, I realised why people use the term 'glowing' about women who are pregnant. There was a photo of MM and her Bump, and something has infused her face, some ...for want of a better word...glow. Simply beautiful. And somehow more adult.


The weekend passed in a flurry of not very much at all.
M took me to a beautiful dinner in Freo (excellent steak) where we had long conversations and some fabulous shiraz. We drove to Monument Hill afterwards, because what's a night in Freo without seeing the cranes... it reminded me of the first giddy night we went there and he kissed me and I completely lost my head.

On Saturday we had a day of errands and cleaning planned, but shortly after we'd washed the Land Cruiser, M got the news that the house had sold. So instead of running around, there was champagne and cigars (I know, what?) and much excitement.
We were invited to a barbecue in the evening, Swanbourne no less, and by the end of the night I was dancing with a mannequin - having moved from the bubbles to the vanilla vodka.

I started Sunday with "I will never drink again" and then we spent the day driving from open house to open house, M seeking out bigger and better garages, me ogling the beautiful kitchens. One or two serious contenders but even just the looking was interesting. Travels in suburbia.

Then on the way home, when we went to Welshpool to drop off the company car and drive home in mine, Norma decided enough was enough and her battery made an awful end-of-the-road coughing sound and wouldn't budge again. We sped to B & P's, borrowed a started cable, went back, now she started, so M drove to four different petrol stations until he found the right kind of battery (all this at 9pm) and then put the battery in when we got home.

Summer appears to be over. Okay, it might be 31 degrees outside, but the morning was positively brisk, and started much later in terms of sunrise, which washed glorious hues over the tree in front of the balcony. And I think, a few short months, and the flame trees will be in bloom again, and here I am, full circle yet so much has changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home