Saturday, February 13, 2010

And night fell quietly, like a whisper- I hardly noticed it. Night fell on somewhat of a strange day.
I had felt for the last few days, through the euphoria and the tumult of celebrations, that I needed some serious solitary Anna time if I was to preserve my sanity. Some people struggle with this need of mine, but it is a very real need.

So this morning after Norma and I went to Karrinyup to cash in my massage/facial voucher from M at one of the most luxurious salons I've ever visited (note: I've only visited about, oh, two in my life thusfar)... just beautiful. The whole shebang lasted well over an hour and I felt deliciously pampered and beautiful. Aaahhh.

Yes, so after that, I popped home to put on bathers, pack some books (I still haven't finished the Calvino), water and fruit and took off for a bit of a driving day...somewhere beachy. Lancelin was my destination, simply for lack of a better idea, short of driving all the way to Margaret River- but I can't afford the petrol at the moment, so that dream was scrapped.

The driving is wonderful. Norma is a hell of a woman, and thanks to Bud I have a fantastic selection of music to listen to (Beirut the band: they rawk!) but I was tired. So tired that I had to pull over twice on the way there for a nano-nap, and once on the way home for a 40 minute proper, drooly sleep. And I still feel like a Mack is parked on my chest. Bizarre.

The landscape is endless out there, and yet I know that further north it is even more endless. But stopping in Lancelin to buy a burger, I was the only sedan in the parking lot. Big men with big dogs and big 4WDs. And little me, with my glasses and novel, and P plates and old age (for a P plater okay?).

Lancelin was windy and wild, sort of exactly what my mood desired. My burger not so much, but my mood, yes. And even through the haze of tiredness, the old feeling (but happily this time, not an escape) to just keep driving. And hoppa! wind up in Geraldton. This country amazes me every single day. No matter where I am.

I find the increase in "Fuck of we're full" stickers and too too many Aussie flags a little worrying, but ... no but, I find it worrying, but I still bloody love it here.

So the road trip wasn't the screaming adventure I had expected, but I had lots of quiet space to think (and sleep) and drive, and although the living alone is (surprisingly?) taking some getting used to - every noise makes me jump - I am loving it. So many open, clean, light spaces in my apartment. And the reading corner I've set up next to my desk? Heaven in an armchair.

Good things are starting/continuing at work- I have started baking again, for a start, which is important, but also career wise, I think there's a decent chance I won't be a PA forever. Fingers crossed.

And a certain happy Banana, has plans with a man, on Valentine's Day. And I don't care if it's tacky. I'd rather have a date, than know that the person I am with did things with the previous girl, but not with me. I should have gone with Dan to see Casablanca at the NFT that year, instead of agreeing with Gareth, and going to the gym. Bah....

And when I came back from my appointment early on Friday morning, M had folded my clothes and done the dishes. Swoon etc.

"Only a house, quiet as snow, a space for myself to go, clean as paper before the poem."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home