Tuesday, August 09, 2011

It's a beautiful morning in Perth. As I look out my window, the sun slices gold along the windows of the city skyscrapers and the cold winter snap keeps the air supersharp.
I had another night of almost-pristine sleep and woke to go to the gym feeling fresh and energised.

Yesterday's day at work was unreal. I worked until 5.30 but it was a full and ludicrously productive day.
Then the Blackcurrants and I went to a Pho Vietnamese bar where Nickiy treated us to delicious soup (that's what Pho is). Later Evi came over and it was a comfort that we could have a long conversation without a smidge of gossip.

The riots in London are frightening. I just heard girls being interviewed on radio national who are treating it as a night out to collect 'freebies'. Unbelievable.

But here's one I wrote after I saw the Disappearances Act (or was it project?)... the play I saw a couple of weeks ago:

I wait, with curtains drawn
and the door locked

There is a candle
spitting and hissing
but that's the only sound.
I try to contain my breathing.

And there is silence.
There is darkness.
And there is no news.

I put your pictures up-
the toothy smiling face from grade four
I put your pictures up
in police stations and milk bars
and shops and offices
And wait.

The streetscape slides slowly
by the windscreen
the gently lighted buildings
just a wet smudge.

I still have fuel - I think
And I could keep driving
steady, into the long night
but the lights turn green-

The lights turn green
and I stop.
I just stop
And it's not because
It's not because...
but I stop

And later my husband comes
in a differenct car
and takes me home
And there is only silence
and no news.

Your memory is watermarked
on my mind.
But there is only silence.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home