Thursday, September 08, 2011

Many good things

First, I swam. Thinking of that line from Small Mercies where Dyson notes how bodies are made beautiful under water. If you do it enough, swimming becomes a meditation, and it's doing good things for my body but also my soul.
Then at work I was greeted by an email from Lydia. My beautiful friend. She is my articulation in what true friendship is. Cold hands cupped aroudn styrofoam cups, a twenty minute tube ride and parting again. But batteries recharged and heart put right. I have missed her without knowing it. I am so glad she's found me again.
And then Steph showed up, quite randomly, and we went to sit in Sayers and drink coffee and talk. Could my life be turning normal? (Surely not)
And then, while listening to my happy mix of tunes on my dear green mp3 player, I stumbled across Time Bomb and a swag of other Rancid goodies. And there is going to be a 20th anniversary tour next year!!! World tour!!! It made me so sillily smiley. Thinking back to the Crow Bar in Tottenham Ct Road after the concert. Oh London nights...

When M called around lunchtime I was buzzing and so happy he said Macska you're going to explode. I felt a little bit like that.

I snuck away after the meetings, raced home to pick up Norm, wanted to go buy a driver's hat but ran out of time, so settled for a bottle of real prosecco.
And I buttoned up my blazer, and donned a white bow tie, put the prosecco and two champagne glasses in an ice bucket and waited by the white limo (Camry) to whisk the Blackcurrants to dinner. Being new to chauffering, I got lost, but we laughed so much my face hurt, and now I'm just waiting for the call to go pick them up.

And still, the soft day was full of contradictions. Warm and cold, simple and unspeakably complicated. Dr L warns against compromise, but what is life (and love) without it?

I bought new pillows. The first proper pillows in my life that aren't the $7 special from big w. Proper hardfluffly, the stuff dreams are made on :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home