Monday, August 29, 2011

Reading is Sexy

I just found this sticker in one of my literary mags...how apt and true! But where to put it? If I adorn Norma's bumper with it, people will think me a grandmother lamenting the passing of her youth ... (I really should be less harsh on Norm eh?)...

And speaking of youth, I've just now had a reminder that I am not in my twenties anymore. I went to the post office after work to pick up a parcel which I had hoped would be the canvas print of one of my B&W Pindabunna photos, alas it was a slinky Cooper Street dress I had ordered online a few weeks ago, when I felt the lards were a thing of the past. Just like the way I registered at the BDO a few years ago among crowds of 17 year olds off their chops that I am no longer 17, standing in front of the mirror just now I giggled to myself and was happy that I am, in fact, 31. Sometimes I can hardly believe it!

I got a sad email from Dad today - Margo is still away, and I really hate imagining him in that kitsch house of tile and glass, holding up traffic for corio schoolkids and then putting up with their violent shit just hours later at the shopping centre. I miss him, and at the same time I don't, but I wish so much that this was different.

I've missed my gym class tonight, and it appears I have a case of the verbal runs ...

Walking home from work today, the clouds had started to gather, glowing from behind with the last of the day's sun. It's crazy to think it is still, actually, winter.

I missed two very important anniversaries this month:
On August 2nd, TEN YEARS AGO, I met two of the most important people in my life. VC and Dale. In the subtly insistent Budapest sunshine, in a gentle fug of cheap beer (or was it VBK?) I found them at the world music stage and I think it's pretty safe to say that they changed my life for the better. On day 2 of our aquaintance, VC sent me a text as I was tramming out to the island again, to say we are going to take you away to another planet. And they did.

And, on August 22nd six years ago, I first touched down in Perth. Surely no more needs to be said on this subject. I think I've found the love that lasts forever. Cue wanky love poem:

How do you know if love will last forever?
You ask the question again,
as you land in yet another city
Will this be the place finally
where searching can stop?
will this be the place
that you'll grow to love Vegemite (and become a real Australian)
the place where the Qantas ad
will no longer make you weep embarrassingly?
but more importantly
will this be the place
The place
where you can put your own full stop
on the map?

And you consider.
And think you'll have to wait a while

But love,
with all its irrational promise
comes within a week
as flame trees curl
their august colour under your skin
and suburban streets hum
reassuringly with the trusting
beat of your footfalls

This irrational love floods everything.
Bus drivers receive
high voltage smiles
and every early morning
is treated as a gift


Another Voicebox tonight, and this time M is coming. I am jittery with hope that he won't hate it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home