Wednesday, August 10, 2011

From the Heart

I had an incredibly filling day today.

A wonderful day at work - actually producing things of value. The targeted communication slide I'm devising for the GMs is getting some good feedback and I have my first website workshop with the team tomorrow. I love every hour that I'm there.

After work, Joy and I (in her wonderful purple 'suede' jacketfromMelbourne) went to the Garden for pizza and bubbles to have a chat before her six week trip to Canada. It's always so good sitting down with her and gasbagging. She is my mother-hen at work but she's also my good friend. And absolute queen of the cupcakes.

Then I walked home and changed jackets and hopped into Norma and drove to East Vic Park to Crow Books where the first of a series of "A good book and a glass of wine" events was held. Tonight, the author in question was Kim Scott, whose latest novel, That Deadman Dance I am reading now, and whose first novel Benang, refers also to the title of this post, and was one of my novels to read during my BA AIS at Murdoch.

The bookshop for a start is amazing. And the evening was a pleasure. Kim was so full of quiet pride in his heritage, his language. His face changed when his mouth formed Noongar words. And he spoke with his whole body when telling us about his novels, about his projects and his process of writing. He fielded questions and read to us from his work. He was warm and engaging and I walked out at the end filled with electric light.

Then I got lost on the way home. I turned off at Plain Street, thinking it was familiar, and then somewhere by waterways in East Perth I realised I was going round in circles... but I'm home now. I talked to M, and then I talked to Dad and now I'm ready for a bed, after a gloriously full day - another reminder of how lucky I am.

"Almost everyone seems related, in one way or another. Even to birds and animals, and plants and things in the sea."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will you post again ? Been looking forward to this !

1:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home