Tuesday, September 13, 2011

This weekend was just glorious. Starting with an exciting win for my beloved Cats on Friday, followed by dinner deliciousness in Leedy and then karaoke (I know, crazy right?) in the city. Friday night segued into Saturday morning by the time I walked home, through an almost balmy Perth night, music still buzzing in my ears.

In the morning I raced to Duncraig for breakfast (more bananas!!!) and helped M pack the ute for their trip before I came home. I had grand old plans to clean and iron but on seeing the weather I donned a bikini, grabbed a book (Hunter S about the Hell's Angels) and bottle of water and drove to City Beach. My beach.

The ferocity of the sun surprised me, and even the imprint it made on my skin, although this was not enough to deter me. I was red raw for a day or so, but it's slowly drifting back to brown.
On Saturday I read and dozed and let the sun warm me through. Then, after watching the last twenty minutes of the gallant effort by the Eagles, I met Sergio and after some house-shopping we walked to Mt Lawley, talking all the while about books and the big questions of life.

Later, with Fernando we watched Pollock and I was reminded again how much i adore painting. What I would give for just two days back in Paris. And I'd had no idea that Pollock also painted something other than those speckled, painful canvases. The boys left close to 2am, and I worried for a while that I wouldn't get enough sleep. Alas, I slept till 9.20 which must be the longest sleep in, in the last two years!

Sunday was more water and sun and beach. I actually went in the water, although had it not been for some very forceful convincing I would have preferred to stay dry. But every time that dear water hits my skin, and I see the wide expanse of beach leading down to my cranes, I am reminded of how lucky I am. I live here.

And the week has started unbelievably well. Building my performance agreement, shitting myself about presentations that end up coming off well, contact with people in the business and just doing work. Every day is a thrill.

And although I know it's not summer, today when I walked home I could feel the hope all over my legs. There has been a shift in season: no more stockings, or tights or feral nylon anything. It's just beautiful.

I had a gorgeous moment on Sunday driving home from Freo. Dale and VC called me so I could take part in the ceremonial removal of VC's Sziget wristband (just like every year). I pulled over so we could try video calling, and it worked, and then when we hung up I had a little weepy moment, missing them and yearning for that special iridescent youth we shared, yearning just a little bit too much to keep driving. So I was stopped with my head bobbed over the steering wheel and a couple of cyclists actually tapped on the window to make sure I was okay. Although as the Blackcurrants pointed out, they may have just wanted me to get the fuck out of their lane!

Tonight: cycling and then rabbit adventures.

Ooh and two of my poems were published in Creatrix online magazine. Famous banana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home