Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Four seasons in one day...

or one afternoon as it were, here in Melbourne.

But to rewind a tad: Helsinki was impressive. Small, clean, bitterly cold and blowy, but very much with its own character. I walked red-faced and eyes streaming for a few hours, then went back to the hotel for lunch, and then a man who resembled a rocker/viking drove me to the airport. It was all so smooth and simple.

The next 2 legs of my flight were uncrowded, and I managed to sleep a fair bit, with just one sleeping pill and a glass of wine. I watched Mamma Mia and despite it being a comedy, it made me cry. perhaps I was feeling the wrench of distance, perhaps I was just too tired I don't know.
The changeover in Honk Kong was hideously short, but then I slept more on the flight over, right up until the time I woke, to see the last of the sun sink below clouds laced with burnished gold. It was beautiful, and was my first inkling that I was nearing home.

At the airport, with all my bags, I went to the customs xray machine where a lovely bloke said "you take the light one i'll take the heavy one, okay?" to which I replied, "mate you're going to have to take both, as they're both heavy" he laughed, and lifted both my suitcases onto the thing.
Then when I got them at the other end, he called out: "Are you alright love, do you need a hand?" What a legend!

Dale and Craig were a little late, but it was so so good to see them. Back at home i had a much needed shower, a feed, courtesy of Craig's housemate Jill, and then we went to the Gin Palace for cocktails and catch-ups.
Craig and I stayed on after Jill and Dale left, and got home at 4. Right now I can certainly feel the jet lag kicking in, but I'm going to a show with Timea tonight, and then sleeping at hers.

The sky is grey white and blue by turns, I'm sitting in my own little room at Craig's, surrounded by the few things I managed to bring with me. But I don't miss anything except B. I can't wait for his arrival, his reactions, his first impressions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home