Sunday, May 17, 2009

PhDs and Nail Ale

Phoar this was a difficult weekend. But happily it started wonderfully.
On Friday, I left work early and drove speedily to Freo, where Gary, his wife Jo and three of his finished PhDs were celebrating the completion of their doctorates, joined by Ange, Eric and I- the three not-yet-completed ones.
Everyone was in a jolly mood- we munched on those wonderful Clancy's chips and drank beer and talked and laughed and in the end it was just Gary and I that stayed for one more pint and I actually felt adequate. Although I haven't read (of course) as much as I would like to, I didn't feel empty headed or slow.

I didn't fully realise how drunk I was until I got home- it was a big fat irresponsibility to drive. But my guardian angel must have been present.

On Saturday I worked at the hostel again, until 8.30 and then again on Sunday from 7AM!! Sunday was work in the main kitchen though, and boy was that a different experience. Chef Steve wanted to clean the fridge and I had the job of scrubbing the fungus ridden shelves in hot water. My hands looked awful, my back ached and I was exhausted by the end of it, but when I got home, Balint had cleaned the entire flat and it gleamed and it mean so much to me!

We went for a tired afternoon walk and had a pint of Kilkenny at Durty Nelly's in the city, while listening to an enthusiastic American sing Cold Chisel and Elton John songs. It was a beautiful end of autumn day, and I don't understand why my eyes flew open at 4.59 this morning... but I couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep.

And then my laptop died. The screen sported colours that Paul Smith would be proud of, but there was no restarting it, no reaction, nothing. I cried. But Balint reckons if it's a serial problem, Dell should fix it free of charge.

I am exhausted today. Toothpaste on the wrong side of the brush exhausted. But I should get a big rest tonight, because Wednesday is a very important day!

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home