Saturday, October 17, 2009

jumble

It's strange even now, when i should know that I am here in Perth for the long haul- with the first real summery day, I had that inescapable panic of 'oh my god summer is almost over' that almost sick, addictive need for sunshine and heat. I got a little of it in the morning, at 7 with the ridiculous birds, but later in the afternoon B and I went down to the beach again (man there are a lot of beautiful people!) and I felt the warmth like some sort of embrace. And it wasn't only because I was reading Durrell at the time, although he was writing about Alexandria again...

It felt wonderful to be lying in the sun like that - I know the weather now is doing things it's not supposed to- mum is freaked out about the sudden onset of serious winter, just like this 35 degree day probably isn't normal for us here...but I am so happy it was baking today.

Hard to work, but I have to work because today I discovered for myself, after Zoli talking about it for ages - Herdsman fresh. Oh my godfather. Have you ever seen a shop with such beautiful presentation of fresh foods. I had to talk myself out of so many purchases, and even so, came home laden with goodies. At the checkout, after I had cleverly parked my trolley on the wrong side of the bench, a man came up to me shaking his head, and pushing my trolley round the other side. "You haven't been here before, have you?" ...

And I wonder why I am in the lard wars? Food rocks.

After an all too brief stint on the sand we came home, I marinated the salmon, B cooked it and we ate out on the balcony, sipping the Eaglevale white that reminds me so much of Sancerre. It was beautiful.

Had a lovely long conversation with Mum too - Laci is still sick, and is lying about it now, and I've never heard mum so helpless. I told her to talk to him as if she were talking to me. Because I know that no matter how hard it was, or what kind of trouble i was in, she'd never give up in my case.
And Ty's going back to Afghanistan next week. And the less I think about that the better. It frightens me. The thought of it frightens me more than I can say.
But better news from across the oceans: Mari is in love (it would explain her silence) - with some German astro physicist who lives just a jot away from her Munich, yet they met online... news to relish!

I have promised myself another hour of work and then I think I deserve bed, or a massage or something.
I salute summer, and bare feet and few clothes. :)

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home