Sunday, March 07, 2010

More suburbia

There is a Hills Hoist in the backyard of the house M has just found. Less flashy than the others, yet this one is in Duncraig too, and features an enormous back yard - plenty of space for teenager retreats and any lawnmowing fanaticists to indulge.

The image of this house utterly put me in mind of 37 Colorado Drive. In a good way.
Remembering those pastel Geelong afternoons, everything an even shade of grey until the clouds rolled in, or the sun exploded through for a few minutes. Those were afternoons when I didn't have work and money on my mind (I hardly remember what those days feel like, but still) and I curled on our couch, often with cat in tow and gas fire burning, and read book after book.

Outside suburbia breathed, the city many kilometres away and even the nearest shop a good 15 minute walk away. Behind the house, though not directly, loomed ... and now i don't remember the name of the hill... the one with the road running up to Anakie, where Chanel college used to be. The big hill with the big powerlines, crackling static in the gathering dusk.
It was home before I truly realised what a big thing that is.

There are only ten or so photos online of this house, and who knows if M will buy it at all, or whether or not I will move there if he does, but seeing such a typical (at least for me) home, with low ceilings and wide rooms, an enormous backyard and a sunny kitchen looking out on it. Two parts comfort, one part longing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home