Saturday, April 19, 2008

First, the dream that was Blumau



we set off from Budapest on Monday, packed into the little suitcase (3 pairs of new bikinis) and after a small change at Szombathely, we arrived in Graz on time (oh those Austrian railways) to be picked up by (enter name we didn't catch) from Bad Blumau, dressed all in black and holding a zany yellow sign, in his sleek black VW.
I had slept on the train, so I could gaze awake at the spinning countryside which was just beautiful. Everything is so clean!

Already at check in, I knew we were in for a fine time. They had prepared a Hungarian info pack, and the service was just impeccable.
After flinging the suitcase and it's contents all over the room we had a beer and a glass of champers and then set out to explore the pools.
Really, for one not used to luxury, words are difficult to find. A lot of the time there I felt like I was in a movie. Which pool, which sauna shall we go to, or hang on, should we sit for a while in the whirlpool just here?

A word on the saunas, of which there were 8 different ones: they were nudist. I hadn't realised this at first and was duly shocked when I saw so many willies. The shock soon subsided though and it has to be said there is something liberating about being naked. And, although I know it's not correct etiquette to look, I couldn't help it. So while there weren't supermodel buff bodies there, it really made me think that the human body is bloody amazing, and also that there is something beautiful in everyone. There were big bellies and varicose veins, but also sculpted muscles, or long eyelashes... it was all quite an experience.

Dinner was served in a buffet restaurant with a wonderful selection - i managed to choose the most expensive wine on offer, but we only had to pay for the drinks, so you can imagine how much cheese I consumed for dessert.
And on Tuesday, when we sauntered into the breakfast restaurant in our togs and bathrobes, imagine my joy when I saw chilled bottles of prosecco lined up beside the juices.

On our last day I went for an aromatherapy massage and wondered why such luxury had to end. I've been thinking about it ever since.
We slept better than we've ever slept before, we were relaxed and I felt pretty happy the whole time.

Due to the vagaries of the Hungarian railway system, we decided it would be easier to go home via Vienna (as it turned out, this was not the cheap option) - the train ride was like a dream. It's a wonder how Austrians have it figured out- no graffiti on trains or in stations, and countryside that is so pristine it almost hurts.

In Vienna we caught up with Bea briefly, and then home, which was such a rude shock to the system that I still haven't properly unpacked and sorted things out.
I would recommend unadulterated luxury to everyone, but perhaps I appreciate it so much because it's not everyday.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home