Saturday, November 22, 2008

Monsoonal Melbourne

After coffee with Craig in the morning (okay, it was lunchtime) on Wednesday, I wandered up Little Bourke Street to meet Timea for lunch at the skinny men. They are a group of three skinny bronze sculptures, on the corner of Bourke and Swanston. We ate in a place called Gigi’s, Timea had eel, I had pork and it was so good to be together again!!

Afterwards, I walked home again, happy in the Melbournian bustle, and tried to get some work done, but the jetlag was not allowing me to think at all, so instead I slowly got ready (from my pathetically small range of clothes) and then went to Timea’s house at 7, from where we had a glass of wine at Percy’s, then walked to Keir’s house, where he decided he wouldn’t come to the show, and then we caught the bus to Northcote. The show was nowhere near starting when we got there, so we went across the road to a pub called the W…Anne something- very very cool, and had a big ‘peasant plate’ of goodies and a bottle of Pinot, and talked. And talked. And it was surprising and sometimes painful, and uplifting and comforting.
I think, thanks to that conversation, and one that I had earlier with Gergo, that the phd is not for me. I want to talk to Gary and not just say it in an email, so it will have to wait until I see him, but I really don’t think it’s what I need to be concentrating on now.

In the end, we made it to the show, to see a wonderful little burlesque by a gorgeous woman. I made an utter fool of myself, confusing Timea’s friends Tom and Tom (Fos) but then we got a tipsy cab back to Lygon Street around midnight. Then we snuggled under her new double doona and dranks cups of tea and watched Buffy and I thought I was in for a night of sleep. Alas, I managed only one and a half hours, and that wasn’t anywhere near enough. I tossed and turned for a while, then decamped to the loungeroom under an old quilt and started reading this book called The Game, about a ‘pick up artist’ in Los Angeles, Neil Strauss. I read most it by 8am, and just finished it now- it’s an eerie read to think what kind of people are out there.

Then I took the train to Geelong and spent a surprisingly pleasant day with Dad and Margo. There is a shroud of sadness in the house after Judit’s death, but we had a nice slow day of talking (and of course eating).

Coming back home, Craig had had his wisdom teeth out (the three of them are on the dining room table in a clear plastic bag) so I made carrot and coriander soup and milk rice with rhubarb and strawberries and then watched a bit of telly and then finally collapsed into bed, ingested a sleeping pill and slept like a log until 11am.

The internet is not working, so I can’t work, which is annoying, but neither can I go out, because (don’t laugh) I have nothing to wear as both jeans are in the wash and it’s too cold for skirts. So, I am catching up on letters, on blog-writing, and finishing Cloud Atlas, which will mean I will have to go to a bookshop soon!

The weather is furious and ever-changing, and although I have much to get done, and little time to do it in, as usual, I am very happy to be here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home