Sunday, June 07, 2009

A rush of thoughts

It is Sunday evening. I am rugged up in a 20 year old blanket in front of the heater, moccasins kicked off, feet toasty, reading Jeff McMullen's memoirs.
And I have been thinking a lot lately, about 60 Minutes - what it was like when I watched it avidly in the early 90's and even wrote up reports about the interesting stories (60 Minutes back then usually came after an hour's worth of drool-time over Alby Mangels and his worldly adventures...oh his nephew Rick..but I digress)...
So, 60 Minutes. I watched it last weekend, because there was a story about our troops in Afghanistant and also the hardships and fears faced by their families back home. The other story was about Brad Pitt in Cannes... and it made me wonder why and how things had changed.
Why is this program, once the epitome of hard journalism, not fluff, now baiting us with hollywood and celebrity? Liz Hayes has her face sewn up, it's all just too pretty and clean, there's no danger anymore.
Reading Jeff's book, I had the thought about war and international 'situations'....yet these still exist today. It's not like interesting news, or important truths finished with the end of the Cold War. Why doesn't 60 Minutes cover what happened to Anna Politkovskaya?
Have we become so de-sensitised to everything, that when we watch commercial TV we just want fluff?
If it's not sensational, is it north worth caring about? I'm not saying Watergate wasn't sensational, or the nuclear effects in Semipalatinsk and other areas of Kazakhstan and the world ... but there has been some kind of shift since I was young - way back in the early 90's.
And maybe it's because I've lost some wonder, though I hardly think so, considering my own wide eyed pleasure at the smallest things (watching the footy on telly while doing ironing in my own lounge room). I don't know. And if this blog had more readers I'd love some feedback on what has changed (if anything, perhaps it is me after all) and why.
I don't think I've expressed myself well at all, but these thoughts just came in a sudden rush, huddled here reading this book.

today's been a joyous day. Some work, some washing, a win by the Cats against the Eagles, and a wonderful chat with grandma, about all the things I can do with cauliflower!

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home