Friday, May 22, 2009

Rain

The rain finally came to Perth on Wednesday night. The night I turned 29.

Balint and I had taken our superb bottle of Windance Cabernet Merlot (2004) to Clarke's of North Beach, and while feasting on seriously incredible duck (him) and lamb (me), we watched rain begin to pelt the outside world. It had been such a long dry spell, I couldn't help but rejoice. Even though my new red dress got a little soaked, and I got a little wet and cold.

The rainy weather has continued- with a vengeance. On Thursday there were multiple power cuts at work, serious power failures around Perth, and violent storms, so that on Friday morning, the car park by the Water Corp was littered with large broken branches and scattered gum leaves. I can't describe the smell, but it made me smile out loud!

I learned two things on Friday afternoon as I mounted the railway bridge to walk home. As the skies opened in the most sudden and full-on downpour I've ever seen, I learned: my boots are not watertight and my grey Rivers jumper is most definitely made of wool- it smelled like homeless wet dog.

Last night we had dinner at Chook and Keith's. You know each time I see them, and it's nowhere near often enough, I love them a little more. Chook had planned a big birthday celebration, making all my favourite things. Roast lamb, and home made mint sauce, bread and butter pudding, red wine and a beautiful sponge cake with passionfruit icing.

When I cut the cake and made my wish, it was twofold...one of them I'll keep secret, but the other was that Chook and Keith remain as active and healthy and cheerful and wonderful as they are for as long as possible!

And today Perth is a bit like Melbourne- lashings of rain, then brilliant sun, then rain, then sun then both- rainbow! I've baked a mud cake and an upside down apricot cake for the cake stall at the Hungarian house tomorrow- now I just have to figure out the best way to scrape burnt sugar off the floor of my oven.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home