Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"And down on thirsty pastures
In torrents falls the rain.."

the rain was beautiful today. pelting is a good word - the glass panelled roof at work was alive with noise.
My day started in the fresh blue moments before dawn, when I eagerly pulled on shorts and t-shirt to go for a good challenging run...alas, from the creaking morning came thundering curtains of water.
So instead, i poured the coffee into my paul mug and settled in for a short but warming conversation with Andrew, with whom my friendship is ten years old, and whose birthday it is today.

work started with breakfast at Kailis, with Joy and the other BSD PAs, which was niceish but slightly awkward. we seem to have so little in common - polite smiles and introductions. Joy organised it though, and with the amount of effort she puts in, I'd go to anything for her sake.

The rest of the day was a blur of frantic activity. I do like it upstairs, and i like the new people I'm meeting. But other than the hour with weight watchers (less 300g since last week - maybe a gin diet's the way to go) I didn't stop all day.

My evening has been productive - dinner (oh that haloumi and grilled vegetable stack!!!!), kitchen, sorting the new bathroom shelf and going through theatre, music, ballet and opera programs and marking what I want to see. All that remains is to win lotto, and then, maaaaaybe then I can afford C reserve seats for all of them.

The mood at home was full of light for a time, but has snagged on a leaden barb, and instead now, in silence I trawl for words that glow and are warm, words i have sewn into the lining of shirts, to take out and hold up to the light now and then.
Words like consequence. And blood. And fugue. Like memory. And purpose. And beautiful.

The rain rages, the wind rattles our flimsy doors and pushes cool air against and through the fly screen. I usually don't like the cold, but tonight it feels refreshing, and cleansing. Like tomorrow will be another clean slate, speckled with hope.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home