Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nudge

Nudging perfection.

It has been a topsy turvy couple of days, but only in terms of work, not mood, so I'm up to four straight days of smiles and counting.
There was a sudden dump of Canon coverage that I finished in the small hours of this morning, and good job I did too, as the day turned busy and the evening was the ultimate reward.
Today was heavy and damp. Stormy, the clouds of purple flowers around West Leedy were like angry afterthoughts, grudges into summer. I went to the post office to collect the parcel Dad and Margo sent - it sounds silly, but I got such a happy thrill from seeing his unmistakeable neat handwriting. I love my Dad. I called them as soon as I was out of the shops and Margo made me think of this quote from Gatsby, where Nick is talking about those young clerks in New York "wasting the most poignant moments of night and life." I certainly didn't do that today.
Although I did spend ten minutes re-re-re-reading passages of Gatsby, making my heart ache with the beauty of it. Ah!

The beach picnic was supposed to be a team effort, but B decided he had too much python to grapple with right at the last moment. I hate to say it but resonances of Sach reared up and I drove to the beach alone and furious. It was funny I listened to Punk Rock Song really loud, and it made me feel better.
The water was pinching cold, but the air was warm and enveloping and it was beautiful to be in the ocean. There were wide clouds and tall waves and the ever-changing magic of the light.

I shared a long evening of scrumptious morsels of goodness (and skippy chocolate) and conversation and a rather spectacular light show out over Freo.
There was a dog called Byron, who could shake paws both left and right, and roll over and turn around, and a pair of sun-blessed surfers and their friends who smoked a sheesha and listened to a mix of unsavoury music.
I drove home with a big smile on my face (the V8 as CS would say), in fact it's still lodged there.

The wonder of kids eh. I'm awestruck by them. The little ones and the bigger ones as well. an utterly different universe.
And now I feel like I don't want to wash the salt and sand off my tightly pulled skin. Maybe curl up on the couch with Durrell (perhaps I'll never finish that book) in my little cloud of aerogard.

"Do you always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home